No service information was available.
Mr. Marshall was born Nov. 13, 1926, in Decatur, Ind. He grew up in Chicago, Ill.
He graduated from Earlham College and Purdue University, both in Indiana.
His 40-plus-year career as an educator included teaching assignments in a boarding school in Barnesville, Ohio; Albion College in Michigan; Cornell College in Iowa, where he was chairman of the chemistry department; and Lycoming College in Pennsylvania, where he was the dean.
Versed in science, he served as associate program director for the National Science Foundation in Washington, D.C.; as a researcher for the Battelle Memorial Institute in Columbus, Ohio; and as faculty director at the Argonne National Laboratory in Illinois.
He served as executive vice president and then acting president and at Eastern Washington University in Cheney, Wash., before coming to UWSP.
He became the 10th chancellor at UWSP, serving from 1979 to 1989. He was the first chancellor from a scientific background and fought for more state funding for universities as well as higher salaries for faculty and staff.
Mr. Marshall moved the university forward in many areas, such as computing, working to install a fiber optic network to create a way for computers on campus to communicate with one another and arranging for faculty to purchase computers to become familiar with the equipment.
In 1989, the Health Enhancement Center was dedicated to Marshall and his wife, Helen, who also created the Philip and Helen Marshall Chemistry Research Fund to support faculty work.
Although they moved to Port Ludlow, Wash., in retirement, Mr. Marshall taught chemistry at UWSP the fall semesters of 1989, 1990 and 1991.
He was also active in the Stevens Point community, serving the Central Wisconsin Area Chamber of Commerce and as a board member of the YMCA, Sentry Foundation and Central Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra.
Survivors include his wife and four daughters.