Edwin R. Zagrzebski, 90, formerly 2959 Channel Drive, Stevens Point, a longtime Stevens Point businessman and developer, died Thursday, Sept. 27, 2001, at New Haven in Stevens Point.
A Funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. Monday at St. Peter Catholic Church in Stevens Point, with the Rev. Robert Schaller officiating. Burial will be in Guardian Angel Cemetery.
Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Sunday at the Pisarski/Dzikoski Funeral Home. The Moose Lodge of Stevens Point will have a Moose Ritual at 6:45 p.m. Sunday. The Knights of Columbus and St. Peter’s Holy Name Society will combine with the parish rosary at 7 p.m. Sunday.
A memorial in his name will be established at a later date in lieu of flowers.
Mr. Zagrzebski was born Jan. 26, 1911, in the town of Stockton, a son of the late Peter and Josephine (Derezinski) Zagrzebski. He attended schools in the Stockton area.
He was married to Alice Turzinski on Jan. 10, 1933, at St. Peter Catholic Church in Stevens Point. She died Jan. 26, 1995.
After their marriage, they settled in Whiting, then moved to the family homestead in Stockton to farm in 1941.
He also ran Quality Dairy from 1932 to 1943.
He was one of the first in the area to use an irrigation system for watering on his farm, a dairy and potato operation. In 1957 they sold the farm and moved to Stevens Point.
He then built, owned and operated North Point Restaurant, 101 Division St., for 15 years. He also built Red Lantern Pizza and Mr. Lucky’s Nightclub, 200 Isadore St.. He also worked for Vetters Mfg. and the paper mill for a number of years.
The couple also owned and developed land on the site that is part of the north campus of the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point and the site of local businesses and hotels.
He was a member of the Arnott Lions Club, St. Peter’s Holy Name Society, Knights of Columbus Monsignor McGinley Council 1170, Moose Lodge 1572 of Stevens Point and Eagles Club. He was a past member of the Polish Heritage Choir.
In 1990 he received the Moose Fellowship Degree and the Pilgrim Award, the highest award given among the Moose Lodge for achievements beyond the call of duty and holding various chairmanships. He was the committee chairman for the grounds and the additional remodeling of the Moose Lodge. He sponsored more than 183 new Moose members.
Mr. Zagrzebski and his brother, Humphrey, sponsored the bronze statue of Pope John Paul II with Mary holding the infant Jesus that was erected in front of St. Peter Catholic Church on Sept. 21, 1997.
Survivors include five sons, Edwin Jr. (Jeanette), Schofield, Richard (Virginia), Arbor Vitae, Ralph (Rita), Eagle River, David (Barbara), Stevens Point, and Theodore (Janice), Michigan; three daughters, Marilyn (William) Heinemann, Washington, Margaret (Casmir) Bernas, Stevens Point, and Linda Knight, Minnesota; three brothers, Humphrey (Ester), Whiting, Albert, Neenah, and Arthur, Stevens Point; four sisters, Grace Hoerter, Stevens Point, Sister Louann Zagrzebski, Oshkosh, Marion (Paul) Pasternacki, New Mexico, and Emaline Martinez, Arizona; 28 grandchildren; and 31 great-grandchildren.
He was also preceded in death by one son, one brother, two sisters, one grandson and one great-granddaughter.